PhD Program in Computer Science November 1st 2004 - May 16th 2008
Universita' degli Studi di Salerno (Italy) - Advisors: Prof. A. Negro and Prof. V. Scarano
Laurea Degree in Computer Science, 5 Years Program October 1999 - July 2004 Department of Computer Science, Universita' degli Studi di Salerno, Italy. Laurea Degree in Computer Science (five years): Laurea Degree in Computer Science cum laude (course of studies: Computer Networks) at Universita' degli Studi di Salerno (July, 15th 2004)
Head of the Analytics Research Group
PhD Program in Computer Science November 1st 2004 - May 16th 2008
Alessandra Sala is the Head of the Bell-Labs Analytics Research Group. In her prior appointment, she was the technical manager for the “Data Analytics and Operations Research” group in Bell Labs Ireland. Before that, she held a research associate position in the Department of Computer Science at University of California Santa Barbara. During this appointment, she was a key contributor of several funded proposals from National Science Foundation in USA and her research was awarded with the Cisco Research Award in 2011. She focused her research on modeling massive graphs with an emphasis on mitigating privacy threats for Online Social Network users. Before that, she worked for two years as post-doctoral fellow with the CurrentLab research group led by Prof. Ben Y.Zhao. Before UCSB, she completed her Ph.D in Computer Science at University of Salerno, Italy.
Her research focus lies on distributed algorithms and complexity analysis with an emphasis on graph algorithms and privacy issues in large scale networks. In her previous research she has developed efficient distributed systems that support robust and flexible application level services such as scalable search, flexible data dissemination, and reliable anonymous communication.
- Computational & Algorithmic Sciences
- Distributed Systems & Controls
- Dynamic Cloud
- Graph Theory
- Machine Learning
- Mathematics of Networks
- Statistical & Data Sciences
Technical Program Committee:
Track Chair WWW 2016, IEEE INFOCOM 2016, Poster Chair WWW 2015, Guest Editor Computer Communications, Special Issue: Online Social Networks, IEEE INFOCOM 2015, General Chair COSN 2014, IEEE INFOCOM 2014, WWW 2014, IEEE P2P 2013, PETS 2013, COSN 2013, GLOBCOM 2013 (NGNI track), and GDM 2014 co-located with ICDE 2014
IEEE Transactions on Networking, Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data, IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, IEEE Transactions on Computers, Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing ELSEVIER, Bell Labs Technical Journal (BLTJ) and, Social Network Analysis and Mining SPRINGER
Selected Articles and Publications
- " Smoothed Online Resource Allocation in Multi-Tier Distributed Cloud Networks". Lei Jiao, Antonia Tulino, Jaime Llorca, Yue Jin and Alessandra Sala. In proceedings of 30th IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2016).
- "Online Algorithm for Approximate Quantile Queries in Sliding Windows". Chun-Nam Yu, Michael Crouch, Ruichuan Chen and Alessandra Sala. In proceedings of 15th International Symposium on Experimental Algorithms (SEA 2016).
- "What links Alice and Bob? Matching and Ranking Semantic Patterns in Heterogeneous Networks". Jiongqian Liang, Deepak Ajwani, Patrick Nicholson, Alessandra Sala and Srinivasan Parthasarathy. In proceedings of 25th World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2016).
- "Profiling user activities with minimal traffic traces". Tiep Mai, Deepak Ajwani and Alessandra Sala. International Conference on Web Engineering, (ICWE 2015) Best Paper Award.
- "Trade-offs in Large-graph Processing: Representations, Storage, Systems and Algorithms." Deepak Ajwani, Alessandra Sala, Marcel Karnstedt and Patrick Nicholson.Tutorial given in WWW, 2015. Slides
- "Analysis of the semi-synchronous approach to large-scale parallel community finding",
E. Duriakova, N. Hurley, D. Ajwani, A. Sala. In Proceedings of the ACM Conference On Online Social Networks (ACM COSN'14), October 2014, Dublin, Ireland.
- "Towards the Optimization of a Parallel Streaming Engine for Telco Applications", B. Theeten, P. Cogan, I. Bedini, A. Sala and T. Cucinotta. Bell Labs Technical Journal (BLTJ 2014) Issue 18, Volume 4, no 1804-12, March 2014.
- "Modeling Performance of a Parallel Streaming Engine: Bridging Theory and Costs", I. Bedini, S. Sakr, B. Theeten, A. Sala and P. Cogan. In Proceedings of International Conference on Performance Engineering (ACM ICPE 2013). April 2013,Prague, Czech Republic.
- "D-SPARQ: Distributed, Scalable and Ecient RDF Query Engine", R. Mutharaju, S. Sakr, A. Sala and P. Hitzler. In Proceedings of the 12th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC ) Sydney, Australia, October 2013.
- "Beyond Social Graphs: User Interactions in Online Social Networks and their Implications", C. Wilson, A. Sala, K. Puttaswamy and B. Y. Zhao. ACM Transactions on Web 6, 4, Article 17 (November 2012), 31 pages.
- "Multi-scale Dynamics in a Massive Online Social Network", X. Zhao, A. Sala, C. Wilson, X. Wang, S. Gaito, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 12th ACM SIGCOMM Internet Measurement Conference (IMC 2012) Boston, MA, November 2012.
- "On the Bursty Evolution of Online Social Networks", S. Gaito, M. Zignani, G. P. Rossi, A. Sala, X. Zhao, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of ACM KDD HotSocial Workshop Beijing, China, August 2012.
- "Reconstruction and Analysis of Twitter Conversation Graphs", P. Cogan, M. Andrews, M. Bradonjic, G. Tucci, W. S. Kennedy and A. Sala. In Proceedimgs of ACM KDD HotSocial Workshop Beijing, China, August 2012.
- "Bus switched networks: An ad hoc mobile platform enabling urban-wide communication", S. Gaito, D. Maggiorini, G. P. Rossi and A. Sala. Ad Hoc Networks, Volume 10, Issue 6, August 2012, Pages 931–945, Elsevier.
- "Sharing Graphs using Differentially Private Graph Models", A. Sala, X. Zhao, C. Wilson, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 2011 Internet Measurement Conference (ACM IMC 2011). November 2011, Berlin, Germany.
- "Efficient Shortest Paths on Massive Social Graphs", X. Zhao, A. Sala, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of 7th IEEE International Conference on Collaborative Computing: Networking, Applications and Worksharing (CollaborateCom 2011). October 2011, Orlando, Florida, USA.
- "Privacy, Availability and Economics in the Polaris Mobile Social Network", C. Wilson, T. Steinbauer, G. Wang, A. Sala, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 12th ACM Workshop on Mobile Computing Systems and Applications (HotMobile 2011). March 2011, Phoenix, Arizona.
- "Revisiting the Power-law Degree Distribution for Social Graph Analysis", A. Sala, S. Gaito, G. P. Rossi, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium of Principles of Distributed Computing (PODC 2010). July 2010, Zurich Switzerland.
- "Orion: Shortest Path Estimation for Large Social Graphs", X. Zhao, A. Sala, C. Wilson, H. Zheng and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN 2010), held in conjunction with USENIX'10 Federal Conferences Week. June 2010, Boston MA, USA.
- "Don't Tread on Me: Moderating Access to Online Data with SpikeStrip", C. Wilson, A. Sala, R. Zablit, J. Bonneau, and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Online Social Networks (WOSN 2010), held in conjunction with USENIX'10 Federal Conferences Week. June 2010, Boston MA, USA.
- "Measurement-calibrated Graph Models for Social Network Experiments", A. Sala, L. Cao, C. Wilson, R. Zablit, H. Zheng, and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 19th International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2010). April 2010, Raleigh NC, USA.
- "StarClique: Guaranteeing User Privacy in Social Networks Against Intersection Attacks", K. P. N. Puttaswamy, A. Sala and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 5th ACM International Conference on emerging Networking EXperiments and Technologies ( ACM CoNEXT 2009). December 2009, Rome, Italy.
- “Relaxed-2-Chord: Efficiency, Flexibility and Provable Stretch”, G. Cordasco, F. Della Corte, A. Negro, A. Sala and V. Scarano. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2009). May 2009, Rome, Italy.
- “Rome: Performance and Anonymity using Route Meshes”, K. P. N. Puttaswamy, A. Sala, O. Egecioglu, and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 28th Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2009). April 2009, Rio de Janeiro, Brasil.
- “User Interactions in Social Networks and their Implications”, C. Wilson, B. Brue, A. Sala, K. P. N. Puttaswamy, and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of ACM EuroSys 2009, sponsored by the ACM Special Interest Group on Operating System. April 2009, Nuremberg, Germany.
- “Protecting Anonymity in Dynamic Peer-to-Peer Networks”, K. P. N. Puttaswamy, A. Sala and Ben Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 16th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2008). October 2008 Orlando, Florida, USA.
- “Improving Anonymity using Social Links”, K. P. N. Puttaswamy, A. Sala and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 4th workshop on Secure Network Protocols (NPSec 2008), held in conjunction with the 16th IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols (ICNP 2008). October 2008 Orlando, Florida, USA.
- “Searching for Rare Objects using Index Replication", K. P. N. Puttaswamy, A. Sala and B. Y. Zhao. In Proceedings of the 27th Conference on Computer Communications (INFOCOM 2008). April 2008, Phoenix, Arizona, USA.
- “PON: Exploiting Proximity on Overlay Networks", G. Cordasco, A. Negro, A. Sala and V. Scarano. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Parallel & Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2007) March 2007 Long Beach, California, USA.
- “2-Chord Halved”, G. Cordasco and A. Sala. In Proceedings of the International Workshop on Hot Topics in Peer-to-Peer Systems (Hot-P2P05), in conjunction with Mobiquitous 2005. July 2005, San Diego, California, USA.
- "A Method And System For Scaling Resources, And A Computer Program Product" L. Jiao, D. Lugones, Y. Jin, A. Sala and V. Hilt. Filed EU Patent 16305388.7 April 2016
- "A Method For Providing Contextual Information, An Information Processing System And A Computer Program Product", M. Karnstedt, D. Ajwani, T. Mai and A. Sala, Filed EU Patent 15306068.6 July 2015
- "Method For Managing Message To Be Exchanged Between A Plurality Of Client Devices, A Related System And Devices", T. Mai, M. Karnstedt, D. Ajwani and A. Sala, Filed EU Patent 15305373.1 Match 2015
- "Characterising User Behaviour", T. Mai, D. Ajwani, A. Sala and E. Jul. Filed EU Patent 14306790.8 Nov 2014
- "Configuration Method, Equipment, System And Computer Readable Medium For Determining A New Configuration Of Calculation Resources ", A. Sala, D. Lugones, Y. Jin and V. Hilt. Filed EU Patent 14306606.6 Oct 2014
- "Systems And Methods For Distance Approximation In Graphs", D. Ajwani, W. S. Kennedy, A. Sala, I. Saniee, Filed US Patent 14/041210. Sep. 2013.
- "Methods and Devices for Protecting Private Data", T. Cucinotta, A. Sala. Filed US Patent 13/944964. July 2013.
- "Systems And Methods For Self-Adaptive Distributed Systems", I. Bedini, B. Theeten, T. Cucinotta and A. Sala. Filed US Patent 13/853533. March 2013.