- Italian Laurea in Electrical Engineering from the Politecnico di Torino, Italy (1993)
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering and Communications from the Politecnico di Torino (1998)
Member of Technical Staff
With Belll Labs since 1996, Andrea is a broadly recognized expert in traffic management for packet networks. His research contributions have had primary impact on the commercial success of market-leading Alcatel-Lucent products, on the fundamental development of the traffic management science, and on its subsequent application to new areas, such as energy efficiency and multimedia delivery.
Honors and Awards
- 2013: Best Paper Award, The Third IFIP Conference on Sustainable Internet and IT for Sustainability (SustainIT 2013), Palermo, Italy
- 2008: Alcatel-Lucent Technical Academy induction
- 2007-2008: Several Industry Awards and Bell Labs Teamwork Award, as a member of the OmniAccess 3500 Nonstop Laptop Guardian team
- 2002: Best Paper Award, IEEE Globecom, High-Speed Networks Symposium, Taipei, Taiwan
- 1999: Bell Labs President’s Gold Award, as a member of the ATLANTA chipset team
- Frequent reviewer for high-impact international conferences (IEEE Infocom), archive journals (IEEE/ACM Transactions on Networking, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Elsevier Computer Networks), and magazines (IEEE Communications, IEEE Networks, IEEE Wireless Communications).
- Served as TPC member for several conferences.
- Tutorial Chair at IEEE HPSR 2008 in Beijing, China.
Selected Articles and Publications
- An Assessment of Power-Load Proportionality in Network Systems, Proceedings of IFIP SustainIT 2013, Palermo, Italy (Best Paper Award). With M. Ricca, S. Fortune, and T. Klein.
- Periodic Early Detection for Improved TCP Performance and Energy Efficiency, Computer Networks 56(13), 2012.
- Selection of a Rate Adaptation Scheme for Network Hardware, Proceedings of IEEE Infocom 2012, Orlando, FL.
- The Swiss Army Smartphone: Cloud-Based Delivery of USB Services, Proceedings of ACM SOSP Mobiheld 2011, Cascais, Portugal. With A. Hari, M. Jaitly, Y.-J. Chang.
- Evros: A Service-Delivery Platform for Extending Security Coverage and IT Reach, Bell Labs Technical Journal, Fall 2007 Issue. With D. Stiliadis et al.
- Scalable Electronic Packet Switches, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, Issue 4, pp. 486–500, May 2003. With F.M. Chiussi.
- Providing QoS Guarantees to Unicast and Multicast Flows in Multi-Stage Packet Switches, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, Issue 8, pp. 1589–1601, October 2002. With F.M. Chiussi.
- A Novel Highly-Scalable Matching Policy for Input-Queued Switches with Multi-Class Traffic, Proceedings of IEEE Globecom 2002, Taipei, Taiwan (High-Speed Networks Symposium Best Paper Award). With F.M. Chiussi, E. Leonardi, et al.
- Minimum-Latency Dual-Leaky-Bucket Shapers for Packet Multiplexers: Theory and Implementation, Proceedings of IEEE IWQoS 2000, Pittsburgh, PA. With F.M. Chiussi.
- US-8,842,540: System and method for implementing active queue management enhancements for variable bottleneck rates
- US-8,717,875: Condensed-core energy-efficient architecture for WAN IP backbones
- US-8,493,856: Energy efficiency with rate adaptation
- US-8,441,927: System and method for implementing periodic early discard in on-chip buffer memories of network elements
- US-8,340,105: Coordination independent rate adaptation deployment methods and systems
- US-7,099,330: Method and apparatus for integrating guaranteed-bandwidth and best-effort traffic in a packet network
- US-7,075,934: Method and apparatus for hierarchical bandwidth distribution in a packet network
- US-7,031,255: Method and apparatus for guaranteeing data transfer rates and delays in data packet networks using generalized discrete data transfer rate approach
- US-7,027,457: Method and apparatus for providing differentiated Quality-of-Service guarantees in scalable packet switches
- US-7,023,857: Method and apparatus of feedback control in a multi-stage switching system
- US-6,937,561: Method and apparatus for guaranteeing data transfer rates and enforcing conformance with traffic profiles in a packet network
- US-6,904,045: Method and apparatus for guaranteeing data transfer rates and delays in asynchronous transfer mode networks using pivot sessions
- US-6,693,913: Method and apparatus for guaranteeing data transfer rates and delays in data packet networks using generalized discrete data transfer rate approach
- US-6,654,345: Single-bit timestamps for data transfer rate and delay guarantees in a packet network
- US-6,618,391: Method and apparatus for guaranteeing data transfer rates and delays in data packet networks using discrete data transfer rates
- US-6,396,843: Method and apparatus for guaranteeing data transfer rates and delays in data packet networks using logarithmic calendar queues
- US-6,075,791: System for guaranteeing data transfer rates and delays in packet networks