- Diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering - Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece (2000 - 2005)
- Ph.D. (magna cum laude) from the same department in (2005 - 2013)
Senior Security Researcher
Dr. Dimitris Schoinianakis received his diploma in Electrical and Computer Engineering from the Electrical & Computer Engineering Department, University of Patras, Greece, in 2005 and his Ph.D. from the same department in 2013.
His current research interests include 5G/IoT security architectures, cryptography, post-quantum and homomorphic cryptography, and computer arithmetic. He holds several patents with Nokia Bell Labs.
Since 2008, in parallel with his Ph.D. studies, he is employed in Nokia and in 2014 he was assigned as a Product Line Manager in Nokia/Munich with focus on Microwave Radio technology. In 2015 he joined NOKIA Bell Labs as a Security Research Specialist, focusing on IoT and 5G security strategies.
He is the recipient of a paper award from IEEE in 2006, and an award for a tutorial presented in ICECS 2009. He has authored more than 15 conference and journal papers and he has presented tutorials in international conferences on "Cryptographic Hardware Design". He was a special session speaker on ISCAS 2014 in Melbourne on "Alternative Number Representation Systems". He is also a co-author of the books "Secure System Design and Trustable Computing" and "Embedded Systems Design with Special Arithmetic and Number Systems", both by Springer-Verlag. He regularly reviews for conferences like IEEE ISCAS, ICECS, etc. and for journals like IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I, IEEE Transactions on VLSI, and the Elsevier Journal of Systems and Software.
He is a Senior Member of the IEEE and a member of the Technical Chamber of Greece.
- Computational & Algorithmic Sciences
- Quantum Computing & Communications
Honors and Awards
- Best student paper award from IEEE in 2006 (2nd place),
- Award for a tutorial presented in ICECS 2009 on Elliptic Curve Cryptography.
- Invited special session speaker on ISCAS 2014 in Melbourne on "Alternative Number Representation Systems".
- IEEE Senior Member
Selected Articles and Publications
- D. Schinianakis and T. Stouraitis, "Multifunction Residue Architectures for Cryptography," in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 61, no. 4, pp. 1156-1169, April 2014.
- D. M. Schinianakis, A. P. Fournaris, H. E. Michail, A. P. Kakarountas and T. Stouraitis, "An RNS Implementation of an F_p Elliptic Curve Point Multiplier," in IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems I: Regular Papers, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 1202-1213, June 2009.
- D. Schinianakis, "Alternative Security Options in the 5G and IoT Era," in IEEE Circuits and Systems Magazine, vol. 17, no. 4, pp. 6-28, Fourth quarter 2017
- D. Schoinianakis, “Lightweight Security for the IoT: a soft introduction to Physical Unclonable Functions”, to appear in IEEE Potentials, vol. 38, no. 6
- D. Schinianakis and T. Stouraitis, "Hardware-fault attack handling in RNS-based Montgomery multipliers," 2013 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS2013), Beijing, 2013, pp. 3042-3045.
- D. Schinianakis and T. Stouraitis, "An RNS modular multiplication algorithm," 2013 IEEE 20th International Conference on Electronics, Circuits, and Systems (ICECS), Abu Dhabi, 2013, pp. 958-961.
- M. Esmaeildoust, D. Schinianakis, H. Javashi, T. Stouraitis and K. Navi, "Efficient RNS Implementation of Elliptic Curve Point Multiplication Over GF(p)," in IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, vol. 21, no. 8, pp. 1545-1549, Aug. 2013.
- H. Marzouqi, M. Al-Qutayri, K. Salah, D. Schinianakis and T. Stouraitis, "A High-Speed FPGA Implementation of an RSD-Based ECC Processor," in IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration (VLSI) Systems, vol. 24, no. 1, pp. 151-164, Jan. 2016.
- D. Schinianakis and T. Stouraitis, "An RNS Barrett modular multiplication architecture," 2014 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS), Melbourne VIC, 2014, pp. 2229-2232.
- D. Schinianakis, A. Skavantzos and T. Stouraitis, "GF(2^n) Montgomery multiplication using Polynomial Residue Arithmetic," 2012 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems, Seoul, 2012, pp. 3033-3036.
- H. E. Michail, V. N. Thanasoulis, D. M. Schinianakis, G. A. Panagiotakopoulos and C. E. Goutis, "Application of novel technique in RIPEMD-160 aiming at high-throughput," 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Industrial Electronics, Cambridge, 2008, pp. 1937-1940.
- F. Aisopos, K. Aisopos, D. Schinianakis, H. Michail and A. P. Kakarountas, "A novel high-throughput implementation of a partially unrolled SHA-512," MELECON 2006 - 2006 IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference, Malaga, 2006, pp. 61-65.
- A. Skavantzos, M. Abdallah, T. Stouraitis and D. Schinianakis, "Design of a balanced 8-modulus RNS," 2009 16th IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems - (ICECS 2009), Yasmine Hammamet, 2009, pp. 61-64.
Books and Chapters
- Chapter "Residue Number Systems in Cryptography: Design, Challenges, Robustness" in "Secure System Design and Trustable Computing", Springer Verlag, ISBN 978-3-319-14971-4
- Chapter "RNS-based Public-key Cryptography (RNS and ECC)" in "Embedded Systems Design with Special Arithmetic and Number Systems", Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-3-319-49741-9
Patents with Nokia Bell Labs on 5G cryptographic mechanisms and blockchain methodologies (details are currently not disclosable)