University of Ottawa, B.A.Sc., EE
University of Washington, M.S., EE
Carnegie Mellon University, Ph.D. EE
Murray Hill, NJ, USA
University of Ottawa, B.A.Sc., EE
Larry O'Gorman is a Bell Labs Fellow at Bell Labs Research in Murray Hill, NJ. He works in the areas of video analysis and multimedia signal processing. Previously he was Chief Scientist at Veridicom, a biometric company, spun off from Lucent, and before that a Distinguished Member of Technical Staff at Bell Labs. He has also taught in the area of multimedia security at Cooper Union and NYU/Poly.
He has published over 70 technical papers, 8 book chapters, holds 20 patents, and is co-author of the books, "Practical Algorithms for Image Analysis" published by Cambridge University Press, and "Document Image Processing" published by IEEE Press. He is a Fellow of the IEEE and of the International Association for Pattern Recognition. In 1996, he won the Best Industrial Paper Award at the International Conference for Pattern Recognition and an R&D 100 Award for one of "the top 100 innovative technologies of that year." He has been on the editorial boards of 4 journals, and has served on US government committees to NIST, NSF, NIJ, and NAE, and to France's INRIA.
Honors and Awards
Bell Labs Fellow
- Past member of Editorial Boards, including IEEE Transactions on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence; and Pattern Recognition.
- Past Guest Editor of special issues: “Biometrics: Progress and Directions,” IEEE Trans. Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence, Apr. 2007; “Image- and Video-Based Biometrics”, IEEE Trans. Circuits and Systems for Video Technology, Feb. 2004; “Auto ID Technology: From Barcodes to Biometrics", IEEE Robotics and Automation Magazine, Vol. 6, No. 1, Mar. 1999; “Document Image Analysis Systems”, IEEE Computer, Vol. 25, No. 7, July 1992; “Document Image Analysis Techniques”, Machine Vision and Applications, Vol. 5, No. 3, Summer 1992.
Selected Articles and Publications
- L. O’Gorman, D.Livescu, G.Yang, "Creating a Unified, Wide-Area Activity Map for Multi-Camera Networks", Int. Conf. Pattern Recognition, 2014.
- L. O’Gorman, Y. Yin, T.K. Ho, “Motion feature filtering for event detection in crowded scenes”, Pattern Recognition Letters, 2013.
- Y. J. Ren, L. O’Gorman, L. J. Wu, F. Chang, T. Wood, J. R. Zhang, “Authenticating lossy surveillance video”, IEEE Trans. Information Forensics and Security, Nov. 2013.
- L. O’Gorman, “Comparing Passwords, Tokens, and Biometrics for User Authentication,” Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 91, No. 12, Dec. 2003, pp. 2019-2040.
Books and Chapters
- Practical Algorithms for Image Analysis: Description, Examples, and Code, by Lawrence O’Gorman, Michael Sammon, and Michael Seul, Cambridge University Press, 2nd ed. 2008.
- Document Image Analysis, by Lawrence O’Gorman and R. Kasturi, IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos, CA, 1994.
- “Fingerprint Verification,” in Biometrics: Personal Identification in Networked Society, L. O’Gorman, edited by Anil Jain, Ruud Bolle, Sharath Pankanti, Kluwer Press, The Netherlands, Nov. 1998, pp. 43-64.
- “Digital Watermarking” in Encyclopedia of Information Technology, H. Berghel, L. O’Gorman, edited by Williams, J. and K. Sochats, Marcel Dekker, 1997.
- “The RightPages: An image-based electronic library alerting and distribution service”, G.A. Story, L. O’Gorman, D. Fox, L. Schaper, and H.V. Jagadish, Chapter 18 in Studies in Multimedia, Learned Information, Medford, NJ, 1992.